- Ph.D., Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, 1988
- M.A., Nanjing University/Yangzhou Teachers’ College, 1984
- B.A., Yangzhou Teachers’ College, 1981
Chinese intellectual history, modern Chinese literature and social theory
- 2010（Spring semester）: Pusey Fellow, Harvard University
- 2010: Keynote at the AAS, Philadelphia
- 2010: Keynote at the ASAA, Adelaide
- 2010: Keynote at Meisterklasse, Konstanz
- 2009 (Spring semester): Townsend Resident Fellow, University of California, Berkeley
- 2008: Keynote speech on “Forms of Modernity and Views on Modernity” and dialogue with Shmuel N.Eisenstadt, Hans Kung and some other scholars at the invitation from Federal president of Germany
- 2008: Title of Goethe Cultural Embassador, awarded by Goethe Institute, Beijing
- 2008: Nominated as one of top 100 public intellectuals in the World by Foreign Affairs and Prospect
- 2007: Keynote Speech at Rencontres Internationaes, de Geneve 2007
- 2005 (summer): Fellow, East Asian Institute, University of Singapore
- 2004-2005 (fall semester): Senior Fellow, Institute for Advanced Studies, Bologna University
- 2004: The Miliband Lecture, London School of Economics
- 2004: Awarded the title “Most Influential Scholar of the Year” by the first Chinese Scholarship Annuals (edited by Chinese Academy of Social Sciences) for the publication of Xiandai zhongguo sixiang de xingqi (The Rise of Modern Chinese Thought), which was listed as one of the ten great achievements of humanities and social sciences in 2004 by Zhonghua dushu bao (China Readings, Beijing), one of the ten excellent books of 2004 by Shucheng (Book City, Shanghai), and one of the ten excellent books in Chinese of 2004 by Yazhou zhoukan (Asia Weekly, Hong Kong)
- 2003: Xinren Scholarly Award, Tsinghua University
- 2000-2001: Senior Fellow, Wissenchaftskolleg zu Berlin (Institute for Advanced Studies in Berlin)
- 2000: Book Award Reviewed by Specialists, Changjiang-Dushu Award, for the book Wanghui zixuanji (A Self-selection by Wang Hui)
- 1999-2000: Fellow/Visiting Professor, University of Washington, Seattle
- 1996-97: Fellow, Chinese University of Hong Kong
- 1995: First-grade Award for Excellent Papers by Young Scholars, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, for the paper “Wu Zhihui yu zhongguo fan chuantong zhuyi kexue guan” (Wu Zhihui and the Anti-traditionalistic View of Science in China)
- 1995: Fellow/Visiting Professor, Nordic Institute of Asian Studies and Stockholm University.
- 1994: “Excellence of Scholarship in Recent Ten Years of the New Era” Book Award, Chinese Academy of Social Sciences, for the book Fankang juewang (Resisting Despair: A Study of Lu Xun and His Literary World)
- 1992-93: CSCC (Committee for Scholarly Communication with China, American Council of Learned Societies) fellow at the Harvard-Yenching Institute, Harvard University; post-doctoral fellow, UCLA
JOURNAL AND COMMITTEE BOARDS:
- Member of the Asian Council, Guggenheim Museum, New York, 2007-present
- Regional Liaison Committee Member: Center for Cultural Studies, Hong Kong University of Science and Techonology, 2001-present
- Member of the Board: Kwan Fong Cultural Research and Development Programme, Lingnan University, Hong Kong
- Member of the Board: Ershiyi shiji (21st Century, Chinese University of Hong Kong)
- Member of the Board: Taiwan she-hui yen-chiu chi-kan (Taiwan: A Radical Quarterly in Social Studies, Taipei)
- Member of the Board: Lu Xun yanjiu yuekan (Lu Xun Studies Monthly, Beijing)
- Member of the Board: Zhongguo shuping (China Book Review, Guilin)
- Member of the Academic Committee: Zhongguo xueshu (China Scholarship, Beijing)
- Member of the Board: Zhongguo yanjiu (China Studies, Nanjing)
- Member of the Board: Kaifang Shidai (Open Era, Guangzhou)
- Member of the Board: Post-colonial Studies(Australia)
- Member of the Board: Modern China (UCLA)
- Member of the Board: Jiaoyu Xuebao (The Journal of Education, Beijing)
- Corresponding Editor: Positions: East Asian Cultures Critique(USA)
- Editor and Member of Steering Committee: Traces(A Multi-lingual Journal published in English, Chinese, Korean and Japanese)
- Member of the Board: Critical Asian Studies (USA)
BOOKS IN CHINESE:
- Yazhou Shiye: Zhongguo Lishi De Xushu 亚洲视野：中国历史的叙述 （From An Asian Perspective: Narrations of Chinese History）. Hong Kong: Oxford, 2010.
- Bie Qiu Xin Sheng 别求新声：汪暉訪談錄 （In Search of Alternative Voices: Dialogues with Wang Hui）. Beijing: Peking University Press, 2009
- Quzhengzhihua de zhengzhi 去政治化的政治:短二十世紀的終結与九十年代 （Depoliticized Politics: the End of Short Twentieth Century and 1990s）. Beijing: SDX Joint Publishing Company, 2008
- Xiandai zhongguo sixiang de xingqi現代中國思想的興起 (The Rise of Modern Chinese Thought (4 vols). Beijing: SDX Joint Publishing Company, 2004 (New edition, 2008).
- Sihuo chongwen 死火重溫 (Rekindling Frozen Fire: The Paradox of Modernity). Beijing: People’s Art and Literature Publishing House, 2000. Translated into Korean.
- Wang Hui zixuan ji汪暉自選集(A Self-selection by Wang Hui). Guilin: Guangxi Normal University Press, 1997.
- Jiuying yu xinzhi舊影與新知 (Old Shadows and New Knowledge). Shenyang: Liaoning Education Press, 1996.
- Zhenshi de yu wutuobang de真實的與烏托邦的 (The Real and the Utopian). Nanjing: Jiangsu Art and Literature Press, 1994.
- Wudi panghuang: wusi jiqi huisheng 無地彷徨:“五四”及其回聲 (No Room For Hesitation: May Forth and its Echo in Modern China). Hangzhou: Zhejiang Art and Literature Publishing House, 1994.
- Fankang juewang: Lun Xun jiqi Nahan Panghuang yanjiu反抗絕望：魯迅及其〈呐喊〉〈彷徨〉研究 (Resisting Despair: A Study of Lu Xun and His Literary World). Shanghai: Shanghai People Publishing House, 1991. Reprinted in Taiwan (1990), Shijiazhuang (1998) and Beijing (2008).
BOOKS IN ENGLISH AND OTHER LANGUAGES:
- Empire and Nation-State: Two Narratives of China. 2 vols. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, forthcoming.
- Politics of Imagining Asia, Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, forthcoming in 2011.The End of Revolution, London: Verso, 2009.
- Impero o Stato-Nazione? La modernita intellecttuale in Cina(In Italian), Milano: Academia Universia Press, 2009.
- El Nuevo Orden de China, Sociedad, Politica y Economia en Transicion (in Spanish), Traduccion de Olga Curell Sanmarti, Carles Prado-Fonts y Lin Longbo, Barcelona: Bellaterra, S. L., 2008.
- China’s New Order: Society, Politics, and Economy in Transition. Translated by Ted Huters. Cambridge, Mass.: Harvard University Press, 2003. A Spanish translation with additional articles is forthcoming.
- The Rise of Modern Chinese Thought (4 vols, in Korean), Seoul: Ghil Publisher, forthcoming.
- Shisō kūkan toshite no gendai chūgoku (Modern China as a space for thinking, in Japanese). Translated by Murata Yujiro, Nasuyama Yukio, and Onodera Shiro. Tokyo: Iwanami Shoten, 2006.
- Il Nuovo Ordine Cinese (in Italian). Translated by Anna Maria Poli, Roma: Manifesto Libri Srl., 2006
- Rekindling Frozen Fire: The Paradox of Modernity (in Korean): Seoul: Samin Publishing Co., 2005.
- New Asian Imaginations (in Korean). Seoul: Creation and Criticism Press, 2003.
EDITED BOOKS IN CHINESE:
- Co-editor with Hui Po-keung. Fazhan de misi發展的迷思(Myth of Development). Hong Kong: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Co-editor with Chen Yangu. Wenhua yu gonggongxing 文化與公共性(Cultures and Publicity). Beijing: SDX Joint Publishing Company, 1998.
- Co-editor with Yu Guoliang. Shanghai: Chengshi, shehui yu wenhua上海: 城市, 社會與文化 (Shanghai: City, Society and Culture). Hong Kong: HK Chinese University Press, 1998.
- Co-editor with Yu Guoliang. 90 niandai de “houxue” lunzheng 90年代的“後學”論爭 (“Post-ism” Debates in the 1990s) Hong Kong: HK Chinese University Press, 1998.
- Co-editor with Yu Guoliang. Quanqiu guanxi zhong de zhongguo chujing全球關係中的中國處境 (China’s Situation in the Global Context). Hong Kong: HK Chinese University Press, 1998.
- Co-editor with Chen Yangu. Lu Xun魯迅. Beijing: Huaxia Press, 1997.
SELECTED ARTILCLES IN CHINESE:
- “Scientific World View, Cultural Debates and the Reclassification of Knowledge” 科学世界观、文化论战与知识的再分类，Traces 印迹, No.3 (2008)，pp.226-261.
- “Re-reading Mengzi Ziyi Shuzheng, and the Question of the Evaluation of Dai Zhen in the history of modern Chinese scholarship重讀〈孟子字義疏証〉 兼談現代學術史上的戴震評價問題”， The First Issue of Tsinghua Historical Forum, Beijing: SDX Press, 2007, pp.287-344.
- “Depoliticized Politics, Multiple Components of Hegemony, and the Eclipse of the Sixties 去政治化的政治、霸权的多重构成与六十年代的消失”， Open Era开放时代，No. 2 (2007)
- “Reshaping Our Vision of the World 重构我们的世界图景”, Readings 读书, No. 5(2007)
- “Jia Zhangke’s World and the Great Transformation of China 贾樟柯的世界与中国的大转变”, Today 今天, No.1(2007)
- “The Liberation of the Object and the Critique of the Modern—Written When The Rise of Modern Chinese Thought is Reprinted 對象的解放與對現代的質詢--寫在〈現代中國思想的興起〉重印之際.” China Book Review中國書評, no. 4 (2006).
- “How to Interpret ‘China’ and its ‘Modern’ 如何詮釋‘中國’及其’ ‘現代’?” Tianjin Social Sciences天津社會科學, no. 2 (2006).
- “Privatization and the Historical Fate of the Working Class改制與中國工人階級的歷史命運.” Tianya 天涯, no. 1 (2006).
- “The Discursive Community of Science and the Formation of the New Cultural Movement 科學話語共同體和新文化運動的形成.” Scholarship Monthly學術月刊, no. 7 (2005).
- “The World Vision of Empire and its Transformation in the Maritime Era, Part II帝國的世界視野及其在海洋時代的轉變(下).” Chinese Social Sciences Review (Hong Kong) 中國社會科學評論(香港) 2.1 (2003): 119-145.
- “The World Vision of Empires and its Transformation in the Maritime Era, Part I帝國的世界視野及其在海洋時代的轉變(上).” Chinese Social Sciences Review (Hong Kong) 中國社會科學評論(香港) 1.2 (2002): 402-435.
- “Imagining Asia: A Genealogical Analysis 亞洲想像的譜系.” Horizon 視界, no. 8 (2002).
- “The Historical Origin of ‘Neo-Liberalism’ and its Critique: A Second Consideration of the Intellectual Conditions in Contemporary China and the Issue of Modernity ‘新自由主義’的歷史根源及其批判--再論當代中國大陸的思想狀況與現代性問題.” Taiwan: A Radical Quarterly in Social Studies臺灣社會研究季刊 (June 2001).
- “History of Economy, or Political Economics經濟史, 還是政治經濟學?” Tianya天涯, no. 3 (2000).
- “On Dai Zhen and Zhang Xuecheng 論戴震與章學誠.” The Scholar學人, no. 15 (2000).
- “Scientism and Some Questions about Social Theory ‘科學主義’與社會理論的幾個問題.” Tianya天涯, no. 6 (1998).
- “Science as World Formation and Knowledge for Legitimization 科學作為世界構造與合法化知識.”
- Chinese Social Sciences Quarterly (Hong Kong) 中國社會科學季刊, no. 22 (Spring 1998).
- “Politics of Recognition, Law of Peoples, and the Dilemma of Liberalism承認的政治、萬民法與自由主義的困境.” 21st Century二十一世紀, no. 8 (1997).
- “Contemporary Chinese Thought and the Question of Modernity當代中國的思想界狀況與現代性問題.” Tianya天涯, no. 5 (1997).
- “Differentiation of the Scientific World View and the Project of Modernity: Reconsideration of Zhang Junmai and ‘Debates on Outlooks of Life’ 科學世界觀的分化與現代性的綱領--張君勵與‘人生觀之論戰’的再研究.” The Scholar學人, no. 11 (1996).
- “Local Forms, Vernacular Dialects and The War of Resistance against Japan: The ‘National Forms’ Debate地方形式, 方言土語與抗日戰爭時期‘民族形式’的討論.” The Scholar學人, no. 10 (1996).
- “How did we Become ‘Modern’ 我們如何成為‘現代的’?” Modern Chinese Literature Researches Series中國現代文學研究叢刊, no. 1 (1996).
- “From Cultural Debates to Debates between Science and Metaphysics: The Modern Differentiation of the Genealogy of Science and the Debate on East and West Cultures從文化論戰到科玄論戰--科學譜系的現代分化與東西文化問題.” The Scholar學人, no. 9 (1996).
- “The Origin of the Idea of the Individual and the Modern Identity of China 個人觀念的起源與中國的現代認同.” Chinese Social Sciences Quarterly (Hong Kong) 中國社會科學季刊, (Autumn 1994).
- “Max Weber and the Question of Modernity in China韋伯與中國的現代性問題.” The Scholar學人, no. 6 (1994).
- “Wu Zhihui and the Anti-traditionalistic View of Science in China吳稚暉與中國反傳統主義的科學觀.” The Scholar學人, no. 3 (1993).
- “The View of Science of Liang Qichao and its Relation to Morality and Religion梁啟超的科學觀及其與道德, 宗教之關係.” The Scholar 學人, no. 2 (1992).
- “The Fate of ‘Mr. Democracy’ in China: The Conception of Science and its Use in Modern Chinese Thought ‘賽先生’在中國的命運--中國現代思想中的科學概念及其運用.” The Scholar學人, no. 1 (1992).
- “Politics and Morality and the Secret of their Displacement: An Analysis of Movies by Xie Jin政治與道德及其置換的秘密--謝晉電影分析.” Cinematic Arts電影藝術, no. 2 (1990).
- “Prophecy and Crisis: The May Fourth Enlightenment Movement in Modern Chinese History預言與危機--中國現代歷史中的“五四”啟蒙運動.” Literary Review文學評論, nos.3-4 (1989).
- “Some Questions of Ziye關於(子夜)的幾個問題.” Modern Chinese Literature Researches Series中國現代文學研究叢刊, no. 1 (1989).
- “Cultural Conflicts at the Beginning of the 20th Century and the Cultural Philosophy of Lu Xun 20世紀初期的文化衝突與魯迅的文化哲學.” Social Sciences in China 中國社會科學, no. 2 (1989).
- “The Rural and The Urban in Contemporary Films 當代電影中的鄉土與都市.” Cinematic Arts電影藝術, no. 2 (1989).
- “The Subjective History and the Objectivity of the Artistic World 主體精神歷史與藝術世界的客觀性.” 文藝研究參考, nos. 9-10 (1988).
- “The Principle of ‘Resisting Despair and the Characteristics of Novels by Lu Xun ‘反抗絕望’的人生哲學與魯迅小說的精神特徵.” Trends of Lu Xun Studies魯迅研究動態, nos. 9-10 (1988).
- “Dramatization, Psychoanalysis and Others: On the Narrative Forms in the Novels of Lu Xun戲劇化、心理分析及其它——魯迅小說敍事形式枝談.” Literary and Artistic Studies 文藝研究, no. 6 (1988).
- “Historical Critique of Lu Xun Studies 魯迅研究的歷史批判.” Literary Review文學評論, no. 6 (1988).
- “Max Stiner and the Early Thinking of Lu Xun施蒂納與魯迅前期思想.” Lu Xun Studies魯迅研究, no. 12 (Jan 1988).
- “On the Philosophy of ‘Wide Grass’ 論《野草》的人生哲學.” Fujian Forum福建論壇, no. 3 (1987).
- “The In-Between of History and the Characteristics of Lu Xun’s Novels歷史的‘中間物’與魯迅小說的精神特徵.” Literary Review文學評論, no. 5 (1986).
SELECTED ARTILCLES IN CHINESE:
- “Scientific Worldview, Culture Debates, and the Reclassification of Knowledge in Twentieth-Century China”, Boundary 2, Volume 35 Number 2 Summer 2008, pp.125-156.
- “Restructuring and the Historical Fate of China’s Working Class: A Report on an Investigation into the Tongyu Textile Group of Jiangsu”, Critical Asian Studies, Volume 40 Number 2, June 2008, pp.163-209.
- “The Dialectics of Art and The Event”, Cai Guo-Qiang: I Wang to Believe, Ed. Krens & Munroe, Guggenhaim Museum, 2008, pp. 42-49.
- “The Liberation of Object and the Interogation of Modernity, Rethinking The Rise of Modern Chinese Thought”, Modern China, Vol. 34, No. 1(2008), 114-140
- “Dead Fire Rekindled”, Boundary 2, volume 34, number 3 (Fall 2007), pp.1-21.
- “The Politics of Imagining Asia”, Inter-Asia Cultural Studies, Volume 8, No.1, 2007, pp.1-33.
- “Discursive Community and the Genealogy of Scientific Categories.” In Everyday Modernity in China, edited by Madeleine Yue Dong and Joshua Goldstein, 80-120. Seattle: University of Washington Press, 2006.
- “Depoliticized Politics: From East to West.” New Left Review 41, no. September-October (2006): 29-45.
- “Depoliticized Politics, Multiple Components of Hegemony, and the Eclipse of the Sixties.” Inter-Asia Cultural Studies, 7.4 (December 2006): 683-700.
- “The Idea of China in New Text Confucianism, 1780-1911.” Critical Zone 2, 2006: 167-180.
- “Some Questions about the Historical Explanation of Contemporary China.” In The State of the World, edited by Antonio P. Riberio, 211-17. Manchester: Carcanet Press Limited, 2006.
- “The Historical Origin of China’s Neo-Liberalism: Another Discussion on the Ideological Situation in Contemporary Mainland China and the Issue of Modernity.” In The Chinese Model of Modern Development, edited by Tian Yu Cao. London & New York: Routledge, 2005.
- “The Year 1989 and the Historical Roots of Neoliberalism in China,” Positions: East Asia Cultures Critique 12.1(Spring 2004): 1-69.
- 11. “The New Criticism.” In One China, Many Paths, edited by Chaohua Wang, 55-86. London: Verso, 2003.
- “Political Failure and the Necessity for Global Democracy.” Inter-Asia Cultural Studies 3.1 (April 2002):139-144.
- “Imaging Asia: A Genealogical Analysis.” In Asia in Transition: Representation and Identity, Conference Proceedings of The Japan Foundation 30th Anniversary, International Symposium 2002, 245-263. Tokyo: The Japan Foundation Asia Center, 2002.
- “‘Modernity’ and ‘Asia’ in the Study of Chinese History.” In Across Cultural Borders: Historiography in Global Perspective, edited by Eckhardt Fuchs and Benedikt Stuchtey, 309-334. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2002.
- “On Scientism and Social Theory in Modern Chinese Thought.” In Voicing Concerns: Contemporary Chinese Critical Inquiry, edited by Gloria Davies, 135-156. Rowman & Littlefield Publishers, Inc., 2001.
- “Zhang Taiyan’s Concept of the Individual and Modern Chinese Identity.” In Becoming Chinese, edited by Wen-hsin Yeh, 231-59. Berkeley: University of California Press, 2000.
- “Fire at the Castle Gate.” New Left Review, no.6 (2000): 68-99.
- “Cultural Studies and Cultural Criticism in 1990’s China.” Positions: East Asian Culture Critique 6.1 (1999): 239-51.
- “Democracy and Socialism in Republican China: The politics of Zhang Junmai (Carsun Chang), 1906-1941.” Journal of Asian Studies, 58.3 (Aug 1999): 803-804.
- “Local Forms, Vernacular Dialects and The War of Resistance against Japan: The ‘National Forms’ Debate—part II.” The UTS Review 4.2 (November 1998): 27-56.
- “Contemporary Chinese Thought and the Question of Modernity.” Social Text, no.2 (1998): 9-44.
- “Local Forms, Vernacular Dialects and The War of Resistance against Japan: The ‘National Forms’ Debate—part I.” The UTS Review 4.1 (May 1998): 25-41.
- “PRC Cultural Studies and Cultural Criticism in the 1990s.” Positions 6.1 (Spring 1998): 239-251.
- “The Fate of ‘Mr. Science’ in China: The Concept of Science and its Application in Modern Chinese Thought.” In Formations of Colonial Modernity in East Asia, edited by Tani E. Barlow, 21-82. Durham: Duke University Press, 1997.
- “Zhang Taiyan: The Individual and Modern Identity in China.” The Stockholm Journal of East Asian Studies 7 (1996).
- “The Discourse of Humanism and the Question of Modernity in China.” Surfaces, Vol.V.202.1 (v.1.0A - 31/12/1995).
- “The Fate of ‘Mr. Science’ in China: The Concept of Science and Its Application in Modern Chinese Thought.” Positions 3.1 (Spring 1995): 1-68.
- “Is the Public Sphere Unspeakable in Chinese? Can Public Spaces (gonggong kongjian) Lead to Public Spheres?” Co-authored with Leo Ou-fan Lee. Public Culture 6.3 (1994): 597-605.
ARTICLES IN OTHER LANGUAGES:
- Some articles are translated into Japanese, Korean, Spanish, Portuguese, French, German, Italian, and Arabic and published.